In my house, Halloween was not a day that was celebrated. Instead we celebrated the change of the season leading up to Thanksgiving. Here is a fun and healthy appetizer to serve during your holiday celebrations. The harvest celebration cheese wreath is an appetizer tray consisting of cheese leaves served with a sweet-tart cranberry-orange relish.
Harvest Celebration Cheese Wreath
- Plan to use at least three pounds of block-shaped cheese.
- Fresh Cranberry Relish for accompaniment (recipe follows)
- Use a cheese slicer to make even slices (1/8- to 1/4-thick). Using a few seasoned cheeses, like Jalapeño Jack, will give the appearance of changing leaves.
- To make leaves of various sizes, use cheese-leaf cutters (available in cookware and hardware stores).
- In the center of a round cheese board, place a bowl of cranberry relish (available in most grocery stores).
- Place leaves in a ring around the bowl. Repeat layering with remaining leaves. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until serving time. Use leftover cheese leaves for snacks, casseroles, pizzas and salads.
Recipe for cheese wreath by Chef Gale Gand.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.
Fresh Cranberry Orange Relish
1 (12-ounce) package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 unpeeled orange, cut into eighths and seeded
3/4 to 1 cup granulated sugar
- Place half the cranberries and half the orange slices in food processor container. Process until mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining cranberries and orange slices. Stir in sugar. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
Makes about 3 cups.
Note: May also be prepared in a food grinder.
Recipe courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.